Fires on the beach are allowed in unincorporated areas. However some communities restrict open burning and you should contact those communities before you decide to burn. In the unincorporated areas of Georgetown County, we ask that you follow these guidelines for fires on the beach:
- Call the South Carolina Forestry Commission burn notification number at 800-986-5256 and follow the instructions.
- Call the Georgetown County Dispatch number at 843-527-6763 and inform them of the location of the burn and provide them with a contact number.
- Use 5-gallon bucket(s) to carry your wood to the beach.
- Bring a shovel/rake to create a shallow pit large enough to control the fire.
- Fill the 5-gallon bucket(s) with water as a means of controlling and extinguishing the fire.
- Do not leave the fire unattended at any time.
- Watch your embers to ensure they are not going into dry grass
- Extinguish your fire, place the remaining wood coals in your 5-gallon bucket(s), and rake out your area.
Following these simple instructions will ensure that you, your family, and your friends have an uneventful and enjoyable time on the beach.