Both the Georgetown County Council and the state legislature have given a way in which you may get a tax reduction provided the following:
- For the 4% tax ratio, the boat, camper/RV must be in an individual name. One other qualifying boat shall be considered secondary residence and receive 6%. For these purposes, an individual, sole proprietorship, partnership and "S" corporation including a limited liability company taxes as sole proprietorship, partnership or "S" corporation would qualify.
- It has a head, bed and galley.
- You are taking the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) interest deduction on the boat, camper, or RV (you can take the deduction on your primary home and one other second home, or boat if you are treating that as a second home).
- Your boat was in Georgetown County on December 31 of the previous year.
- You have applied for this reduced ratio.
If you believe you qualify on all of the requirements mentioned, we will send you an application for the reduced tax ratio. You can apply for 6% as a second home or 4% if you live on the boat/camper and have asked the assessor for legal residence in Georgetown County if you live aboard.