How do I file a criminal case?

Crime victims must make a report with the Georgetown County Sheriff’s Office and deliver a copy of the incident report to present to the Magistrate. The Magistrate will determine if there is enough probable cause to file an arrest warrant. Depending on the type of charge, you may need to sign the sworn affidavit for a courtesy summons. The Sheriff’s Office or other appropriate law enforcement agency handles all other charges.

Show All Answers

1. Is there a difference between "Summary Court" and "Magistrate Court?"
2. What kind of civil cases does Magistrate Court hear?
3. Can I receive a jury trial in Magistrate Court?
4. How do I file a criminal case?
5. If I accept a check for payment of merchandise or services and the bank returns the check due to insufficient funds, what can I do?