2024 Presidential Preference Primaries
Democratic Party PPP - Saturday, Feb. 3, 2024: 7:00am-7:00pm
Republican Party PPP - Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024: 7:00am-7:00pm
What is a Presidential Preference Primary (PPP)?
A PPP, commonly referred to simply as a “Presidential Primary,” is a publicly held election in which voters vote for their choice to be a political party’s nominee for President in the general election. State political parties use the results of the PPP to assign state delegates to the national party convention. At the national convention, delegates from all participating states choose the party’s nominee. The party’s nominee goes on the General Election ballot in November. For more on a specific party’s nominating process, contact the appropriate political party.
S.C. does not have voter registration by party. The Presidential Primaries are open to all registered S.C. voters. However, voters may only vote in one of the primaries.
Dates and Times
Per state law, political parties establish dates and times of early voting and election day for the Presidential Preference Primaries (PPPs). This information has been transmitted to the SEC and is outlined below.
Democratic Party PPP - Saturday, Feb. 3, 2024, Polls Open from 7:00am-7:00pm
- Monday, January 22—Saturday, January 27, 8:30am-6:00pm
- Monday, January 29—Friday, February 2, 8:30am-6:00pm
- No early voting Sunday, January 28
Republican Party PPP - Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024, Polls Open from 7:00am-7:00pm
- Monday, February 12—Saturday, February 17, 8:30am-6:00pm
- Tuesday, February 20—Thursday, February 22, 8:30am-6:00pm
- No early voting Sunday, February 18, Monday, February 19 (President's Day), or Friday, February 23