How can I get a private road improved?

There are two ways that private roads can be improved with public funds in Georgetown County:

  • Hardship Petition: Procedures are in place to allow one-time repair of a private road based on a hardship condition. Improvements are limited to adding dirt and grading, and require a petition signed by all residents on the road where the improvements are proposed. The policy and procedures file (PDF) provide details and explain how to request this service.
  • Two-Mile Program: In April 2012, Georgetown County updated procedures so that annually the county will take over maintenance for and improve a maximum of two miles of roads that are currently private. Roads will not be paved under this program, but once a road has been accepted into the county’s maintenance system, a separate petition may then be submitted for paving under the C-Fund Paving Program.

Show All Answers

1. What authorization is required to place structures or plantings in an established county right-of way?
2. How can I get a private road improved?
3. How can I get my road paved? Is there a process?
4. Is there a schedule for roadway right-of-way maintenance?
5. Who should I call concerning problems with drainage and flooding?
6. When does the division mow the grass along the county roadway in front of my home?
7. What actions has the county taken to relieve stormwater problems?
8. What is the purpose of the Georgetown County Roadway Design and Construction Manual?